Pages

Sunday 9 November 2014

Sweet Potato Jelly


You might have seen these little golden balls floating around in some of my dessert soups as of late.  They're certainly a little different, but very tasty.  My sister-in-law introduced me to these sweet, chewy balls of jelly when we visited Kuching last year. They are originally from Taiwan and usually served with their sweet desserts.  

Since coming home from Kuching, I thought I would try and make some as my boys are quite partial to them (and secretly, me too!!). I would normally add these to Bubur Cha Cha or White Fungus Sweet Soup just to give some added texture and colour.

Ingredients :

150g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
70g sweet potato starch

Steps :

Steam the sweet potatoes over high heat for about 12 mins or until cooked.


In a clean bowl, place the flour and the hot cooked potatoes together and mash the potatoes with a fork until well combined.



Bring the mixture into a ball and knead until smooth. 


Roll the dough into a long log and cut the log into 1 inch pieces. Roll them into balls.



Bring a pot of water to boil and drop the sweet potato balls into the hot water. They will float when fully cooked. Put them in a cold water bath and set aside till ready to use.



Add these in your sweet desert of choice and serve.



What a great way to add colour or texture to your normal desserts! What do you do to be a little more creative with your standard recipes? 

No comments: