Pages

Saturday 18 October 2014

Steamed Chicken Bao (Chicken Buns)


Chicken Bao.  Fluffy, white bun encasing juicy, tender chicken pieces... just the thought of it is enough to make me salivate.  I could easily eat more than my fair share of these buns if I didn't exercise any self control!

My favourite steamed chicken bao would have to be from Tai Tong in Penang, Malaysia. One bite into the soft bun and the juice would gush out, dribbling down my chin as I struggle to make sure I try not waste any of the tasty filling. Nothing like the authentic tasty Penang chicken bao to get the juices flowing (get it? lol)

Recently a friend asked if I could share the steamed chicken bao recipe as she wanted to make for her son. So here is the recipe I have concocted, my dear friend. I'm glad to share it with you and I hope your boy enjoy this recipe too!

Ingredients :

For the dough recipe, please refer to my post on steamed bun recipe

Filling
6 boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
1 small can of water chestnut, finely diced
3/4 tablespoon of grated ginger
2 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoon of chinese cooking rice wine
2 tablespoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoon of corn flour
2 teaspoon of sugar
dash of pepper

2 tablespoon of cooking oil (to stir fry)

Steps :

Combine chicken, water chestnut and all marinate ingredients in bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

In a pan, heat the cooking oil and stir fry the chicken thighs until they are just cooked. Leave aside to cool.


Make the dough. Roll the dough out to a log and cut into 16 equal portions (about 1cm thick). Flatten the dough and roll out the dough edges, leaving the middle a bit thicker. Try roll the dough into a squarish shape rather than round.



Put the filling in the middle of the dough and wrap it up. The easiest way is to take two opposite sides of the square and bring together. Bring in the left side, then right side to make a square parcel. Press the top to seal. Then bring in each of the four corners to the middle, until it resembles a pouch and gently press and twist the top to seal the bun.  The dough should have no gaps for the filling to peek through from. See below images to help you wrap.



Steam these over high heat for 15 minutes. Leave these bao in steamer for a further 5 minutes before you remove them. Enjoy.



Buns are the best to have around when little mouths need a snack. They're also fabulous for easy on-the-go lunches. If you want to add some excitement into your bun life, you can also add a quartered boiled egg as well, but it is entirely up to you. Let me know which way you swing, the traditional route, or the out of the box route. 

Happy bun eating!




No comments: