Pages

Sunday 28 September 2014

Baked Zuchinni Slice



I'm pretty sure vegetables are the type of food that just don't get enough appreciation in the real world.  Growing up, I don't think I was particularly averse to many of the vegetables I had. In saying that, my mum wouldn't let me leave the dinner table until all my food had been finished. If that meant sitting at that table for an hour, with your food going cold, and everyone else had finished eating and left, well so be it.  I learnt pretty quickly I was never going to 'out-stubborn' my mum! Can I just say though, I don't think I will every freely enjoy bitter melons or brussel sprouts eurgh!!

I'm lucky both my boys do not dislike vegetables and that they will eat it of their own volition.  However, I know that children can be fussy for whatever reason, and so this recipe is great to sneak those vegetables into their diet without them catching on until maybe it's too late.  Although this recipe uses zucchini, carrots and mushrooms, you can add or minus whatever ingredients you want to use.  For example, when fresh corn is available, I will add corn kernels from a cob into the mix.  By adding bacon or equivalent meat into the dish, it helps cover the vegetable taste, thus the ability to sneak the vegetables into their meals!  

This is definitely something that can be split into cups for kids lunch boxes, or be made in a bigger batch so there is enough for dinner as well as lunch the next day. This is a favourite to eat for lunch with the boys, and a favourite of mine to make since it is so easy.

Ingredients :

2 to 3 zucchini, grated
1 to 2 carrots, grated 
5 fresh button mushrooms, chopped
1 big onion, finely chopped
5 to 6 slices of bacon, finely chopped - you can also use a can of spam or leg ham
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of cooking oil
5 eggs
1 cup of tasty cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Mozzarella cheese to top (optional)

Steps :

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcious.

Mix all the above ingredients and put in a dish or cupcake cases depending on how you want to make them.





Top with mozzarella cheese if using. Bake it for 30 minutes.



This recipe can also be easily converted to a vegetarian option.  I hope that your fussy eaters will enjoy the zucchini slice.  How else do you get your loved ones to eat their vegetables?

No comments: